Thursday, December 13, 2012

Thoughts...




Coming back to an empty house at midnight, it’s not so much the thought of entering a dark living room that gets you, but the fact that the door opens when you're about to insert the key.

***

You know you're alone at home, peering into the internet, and you sneeze. It's not so much your resounding voice that gets you, but the fact that someone behind you says "bless you", right after. Softly.

***

You're walking in the subway, alone at night- and the lights go out. It's not so much the darkness that gets you, but the fact that just before the lights went out, you saw someone appear by the wall.

***

You're watching a late night show on TV, with the lights dimmed. You want to change the channel. It's not so much the next channel that gets you, but the fact that it wasn't you who changed the channel.

***

When you walk by a graveyard at night, it's not so much the graveyard that gets you, but the fact that there's someone walking ahead of you; one who wasn't even there when you entered the road.

***

You get into an auto-rickshaw, late at  night. The driver's not misleading you. He's a good soul. But that's not what gets  you; it's the fact that he is indeed that. A soul - when you see his face on the back of his head, smiling.

****

 

25 comments:

Revacious said...

Gosh, doesn't your mind always race ahead of you?
With an imagination like that, I'd think that you would get spooked looking at anything long enough! :P

Privy Trifles said...

OMG... it seems your mind is always set to "eerie-mode" :/

Really scary thoughts!!

Seema Smile said...

Cha men! I was about to get into a taxi in some time. Now I'll have to look out for faces on the back of the heads and all

Sowmya said...

awww!!! spooky :)

the little princess said...

spookiest two liners i've ever heard! so now i cannot even achoo sitting at my laptop without being scared stiff?

Shreya said...

Okay I absolutely totally loved this post!! It's like a thousand times more impactful than even your stories!!!!

Soumya said...

When you complain about a certain mushy comment to the reader and realize its not her who has commented.

Thoughts indeed!

Kanthu said...

Malignant 'thoughts' in your head..;-):P

Red Handed said...

Oh damn....you make me look whose behind me everytime I read your blog.

sumitra said...

You put my imaginary fears to words :P

phatichar said...

Revacious: :P No...I like to spook others ;-)

Me: "eerie-mode" is right :)

Seema: Well...the faces, now..sometimes they also appear..naaah, forget it. I'll let you discover. :P

Sowmya: You're sure it's 'awww' and not 'haaaw!'. Maybe? Hmmm? :P

Princess: Of course you can 'achoo' without getting scared, what're you saying? It's not always about the 'achoo's you know... ;-)

Soumya: -__-

Kanthu: Ha ha..yes :)

Red: Where were you all this while? :P

Sumitra: Words are all I got :P

Bikramjit Singh Mann said...

right now i know why the door opened .. till now i thought it was the wind.. ooops I am scared now :)

The last one autorickshaw GOD i would jump out of the running auto ..

Bikram's

Vinati said...

Hahaha...this was awesome. I shouldn't laugh though. :P

Bikram said...

I wanted to add to my previous comments

"and Sir ji your thoughts are quiet dangerous " he he he he


Bikram's

Tongue-fu Lady said...

OMG! I live alone and m scared. :(

Anonymous said...

Should we name you Mr. Spook now? Now how eerie things are going to get :D

TTT said...

oh god !!! I am scared now !!!!
Just wanted to add :
You finish writing a spooky post sitting alone at home. You hesitate to press the publish button when a voice behind you says "Go ahead ...its great "

Aditi Ray said...

Ohh gawddd!!!
I hav to re-think abt the plan to meet you and listen to a story frm u...
I mite just have a cardiac arrest!! :P

phatichar said...

Bikramjit: Ha ha..but I'm not so dangerous, friend. :)

Mirage: You already did, hehe :P

TFL: It's all in the mind ;-)

T3: Hmmm, that would be something now, wouldn't it? :)

Aditi: That might be a good decision; I'm a lousy story-teller anyway :P

Dwiti R said...

Goodness... the thoughts in your head..
you can give any situation a spooky twist... and you don't even waste words to deliver the result !!
brilliant...

Rohini said...

I don't get scared!! NO NO NO!!!!

Rohini said...

I don't get scared!! NO NO NO!!!!

phatichar said...

Dwiti: :) Thank you...

Rohu: Umm..ah, ok. I got that. Now, calm down :P

alice said...

Brrr.. a twist away from your usual stories and yet not so. I hope you don't narrate these while walking on roads and all, I'd hate to be around you at the time. :)

Anonymous said...

This one is genius !

I loved reading it in the confines of my office :) Am glad you can't spook yourself out!

Am on a roll now with your blog. I lvoe it when I come and there is a lot for me to read :)